Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I, Will. Quote of the Week.

I, Will.

I know, I know. Yesterday was supposed to be the day for Quote of the Week.

I forgot... big deal. It's not like anyone reads this thing anyway. But, I'll get to that in a moment. First, I have a rather large announcement to make. (Large for me, that is.)

Last week, I had twenty journals due for my Creative Writing class! And because I'm such the procrastinator, I left them to the last minute. Luckily enough I had a lot of topics already written thanks to all of the stories and novels that I have written. Needless to say, the vast majority of these topics were easy for me to write on. I'm not going to lie to you though, there were a few that just stumped me and made me think, (like writing dialogue for a historical figure) and showed me the various weaknesses that I have with my writing.

But there was one that I had a ball with. The goal was to write a short story where your character takes a trip. In the heat of the moment, I banged out five pages double spaced, but stopped myself there (these writing exercises are only meant to be one to two pages double spaced). But there was so much more that I could write on, and so after thinking on it long enough, I've decided that that's just what I'm going to do.

Now, I've shared this with you all, to only add this: I have a new short story, and for once there's actually some meat to it. After arguing with myself for a long while, I've come to the conclusion that I will be posting this short story, tentatively titled I, Will, in a serial type deal, once a week. This will be an adventure for me, seeing as it'll be the first time I've ever done anything like this. So, not everything I post will be final, it'll be riddled with grammatical errors, continuity errors, and any other kind of error I can think of. Not on purpose mind you, but because this will be a work in progress until I truly feel like it's finished.

So, look for the first part of I, Will, some time this week.

Quote of the Week.

Okay, so now that I've gotten that out of the way, I guess it's time for the second Quote of the week. And since Sunday was Valentine's Day, I thought it would only be appropriate to put up a quote about love. So, here's the newest Quote of the Week:

"It's strange that words are so inadequate. Yet, like the asthmatic struggling for breath, so the lover must struggle for words."
- T. S. Eliot

For my World Literature II class, as part of one of the many choices for papers, I decided to pick a poem: T. S. Eliot's The Waste Land to be precise. Since reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower Series, I've had this fascination with not only Eliot, but King. Both men's work plays a large role in the series -- Roland Deschain the main character of King's series, being named after Browning's Childe Roland, and the third book in the series, The Waste Lands, being named after, of course, T. S. Eliot's epic poem of the same name. So, seeing as I'm doing massive amounts of research on the dude, I decided that a quote by him would be in order and rather appropriate.

(Discuss in comments.)

No comments: